Pages

11 March 2012

Week 10: 35 miles

This week I dealt with the return of some MS symptoms (mild disorientation and dizziness) and a "cold" whose major features were a low grade headache and general fatigue. It's not great to run through that stuff, but I did, and I ran my highest mileage week to date. I'm glad this week is over and I'm feeling better and looking forward to Week 11.

I had an 8-mile pace run on Wednesday; my longest pace run yet. I was sick and couldn't manage more than 9:31 pace (target is 9:00). But then I did my longest run (of all time) yesterday: 17 miles. I couldn't stick to the 10:00 pace I aimed for, but I'm still proud of running 17 miles. I'm not sure if I'm being too easy on myself about not hitting these paces or if it's normal to go slower when you're sick.

The great thing about this week's long run was running the Boston Marathon course. I've probably mentioned this before, but I live one block from the 10-mile mark. We didn't intend to buy a place right near the course, but now it doesn't seem accidental. I remember when we moved here from Washington almost five years ago, I really didn't want to move to Boston at all. I still don't really love this town. But we've watched the Boston-bound run through our neighborhood for four years, and in less than two months I'll be running a marathon. Coincidence?

Doing a long run on the Boston course on a Saturday in March really makes you feel great about being a runner. There are hordes of other runners, tons of great shoes and gear flying by, frequent water tables, and yesterday there were even free gels in front of Marathon Sports. I was one of the only solo runners out there, which was sort of lonely but I doubt anyone else could have matched my blistering 10:23 pace.

In the last couple of weeks, I've started thinking about what I might do after the marathon. I absolutely want to keep running and get faster. I wrote before about my two potential running goals for 2012: run a marathon, or beat my 5k time from college cross country. I decided on the marathon, but this week I realized (duh) I can meet both goals this year! I don't know why that didn't occur to me before. As soon as I'm rested from running this marathon, I'm going to run a 5k every other weekend until I have a new PR.

Pace range for this week: 8:43 to 10:23
Temperature range: 29 - 38 degrees

Details for Week 10 (Mar 5 - Mar 11):
Monday: 2 miles
Tuesday: 4 miles
Wednesday: 8 miles (pace, sort of)
Thursday: 4 miles
Friday: off
Saturday: 17 miles
Sunday: off

5 comments

  1. Your 5k-every-other-wknd goal is a cool approach. My Team Flail friends were just talking about how after PVD, we want to do more shorter distance races because they're easier to do more often & more spontaneously.

    Repeating what I tweeted, nice work on that 17 miler! And in all seriousness, if you want company on a long run on the Boston course, let me know. I run my longs around 9:45-10:00 target, so I'd be happy to speed along with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'd love company on my long runs; on a good day I might be able to hang with you. I'll get in touch...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome week of training...again running in Boston is so cool. I was at the starting line last year. My hubs' cousin lives about 2 blocks from it. Amazing thing to watch! I had so much fun shouting out people's names. Don't forget to put your name on your shirt for your marathon too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No joke week! 35 miles! I can't believe you're out there running 17 miles and the weather sounds really nice. Water tables and gels? Our runs are beautiful but offer no sustenance :) Wish I was closer to run with you too. Sounds like an awesome course. What's the long run this week? When's your first 20 miler?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks ladies! My next long run (18) is supposed to be tomorrow but I may or may not be injured so we'll see what happens... my first 20 is scheduled for 4/14, the day after my birthday...

    ReplyDelete