Pages

01 March 2012

Week 8: 30 miles

Something changed in Week 8. I felt great on every run. I ran a half marathon (my first) and it didn't kill me (or trigger an MS relapse). After that race, I stopped hoping I could run the marathon. I started to believe. Maybe it is possible. Maybe a lot of things are possible.

I used to yell at myself when I ran. Thinking I would motivate myself that way, I would tell myself I was slow, I was lazy, I was out of shape, I was pathetic. Last year when I started taking myself seriously as a runner, I quickly stopped berating myself when I ran. I started taking pride in my abilities (so what if I'm slow, I'm out here running!) and celebrating what I could do instead of fixating on what I can't. This week, I realized I'm becoming more positive about things even when I'm not running. This is pretty exciting because I've always been really negative. I can find the one bad thing in a sea of good stuff and really hone in on it, to the exclusion of all else. But things are changing. I'm stronger and leaner and faster than I was two months ago. And better than that, I'm different.

Training for the marathon is amazing.

Pace range for this week: 8:40 to 9:50
Temperature range: 19 - 43 degrees

Details for Week 8 (Feb 20 - Feb 28):
Monday: 2 miles
Tuesday: 4 miles
Wednesday: 7 miles 
Thursday: 4 miles
Friday: off
Saturday: 13.1 miles (race!)
Sunday: off

2 comments

  1. It's amazing what a strong body can do to strengthen our minds. A big week! Great mileage - and now it ramps up - sooooo exciting!!!

    ReplyDelete